Subject: Re: a script for updating /etc
To: None <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2000 11:40:10
> I wrote a simple shell (/bin/sh) script for updating /etc (or whatever).
(snip)
> It compares files. It allows you to add new files, look at diff's, replace
> files and edit old files. I may add a few options such as merging files
> together and then editing. It is similar to Debian's upgrade tool and
> maybe like FreeBSD's mergemaster (which I haven't used).
(snip)

I'm wondering how to edit important files (e.g. /etc/*) automatically
(non-interactively). Is there any official way to do that (for
pkgsrc)? Can't rcs(1) be used for this purpose?

Ways like

  echo '...' >>/etc/services

look so uncertain to me (though I've had no trouble by it :)

---
Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
SOUM Corporation, Japan, Tokyo.