Subject: Re: 1.4.2 to 1.5_BETA and library problems
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2000 11:28:15
The a.out ld.so shipped with 1.5 (i.e ALPHA2 or BETA) look
for libraries within /emul/aout tree and ldconfig was changed
to look for /etc/ld.so.conf under that tree also, since /etc/ld.so.conf
is used for something else for ELF.

The upgrade path for you at this stage is:

0. create /emul/aout directory (note that /emul can safely be symlink
   to out of root partition)
1. move all former a.out libraries to the respective directory
   under /emul/aout
2. copy /etc/ld.so.conf to /emul/aout/etc/ld.so.conf, remove
   the machdep.fpu_present stuff and run ldconfig
3. edit /etc/ld.so.conf, remove the directory names stuff

That should make system working.

It's good to install ELF XFree86 then (should be available
on ftp.netbsd.org & mirrors). You can probably safely copy it
over old X11 a.out tree - binaries included in XFree86 would
be then ELF, the rest of stuff installed within X subtree
would use a.out libraries you previously moved into /emul/aout/usr/X11R6/lib/.

After that, you can either gradually upgrade packages to ELF as needed,
or remove all old a.out packages and install new from scratch.
I did the latter, since that seemed like easier on longer run. Took
me like day or so to do.
You would surely praise binary packages available on
ftp.netbsd.org and mirrors - package system mades the transition
much smoother than it would be otherwise :)

Jaromir

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@