Subject: Idea: mount / from a subdirectory
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2000 18:39:45
Suppose I have a complete NetBSD installation in some subdirectory, say
/vol1/destdir.alpha. I'd like to test it, without overwriting my present
root partition, or making another partition a root partition.

The bootloader already supports loading kernels from arbitrary
partitions and paths, right?

It is easy enough if a machine is netbooted, it just NFS-mounts
another directory. How can we also do this with a local disk?  Would it
be as easy as putting some sys_chroot() call in start_init() in
/usr/src/sys/kern/init_main.c ?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.