Subject: Re: Secure Shell now in mainline
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2000 14:38:56
On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 08:07:08AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 03:58:01AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>
> It was originally written for an embedded realtime OS, but also works
> on Solaris and NetBSD.  It has independent reader/writer threads, for
> MUCH better performance than other Secure Shell implementations, has
> better Kerberos support, and is just written in a much cleaner way.

A master student here recently graduated on the security
infrastructure he designed and implemented. Part of it was tying ssh
and a Palm Pilot together such that a user doesn't need to trust the
client ssh host any longer with his private keys and password. I'd
love to see support for this in a ssh implementation. Now that a new
implementation is being made this may be an opportunity to add such.
In my opinion it would be quite a unique and very useful feature.

The author of the thesis is interested in this too (but not on this
mailing list, hence it's me sending this email) and is willing to
work on it.

Here are URLs to the relevant sections of his thesis:

A bit about enhancing SSH:
    http://www.pasta.cs.uit.no/thesis/html/perm/node46_mn.html#SECTION00812000000000000000
or just the whole part:
    http://www.pasta.cs.uit.no/thesis/html/perm/node45_mn.html

If you (new ssh authors) are interested in this, you can contact me or
the author of the thesis (see CC: above for email address).

Feico.