Subject: Re: usb device problems
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2000 15:54:06
   If someone in the Massachusetts area would loan me an analyzer
and give me an idea what to look for, I'd be happy to run some
tests.

					Gary D. Duzan

In Message <39EF1EEB.48C6FCD8@mail.augustsson.net> ,
   Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net> wrote:

=>Yes, something seem broken in the reset on VIA, but I'm not sure
=>what.  It's kinda hard to debug it without access to a machine and
=>a USB protocol analyzer.
=>
=>    -- Lennart
=>
=>Gary Duzan wrote:
=>
=>>    Unfortunately, it seems that the uhci driver is somewhat broken
=>> for VIA chipset implementations. I just upgraded my old FIC SD11
=>> setup to a new DFI AK74 (KX133-based) one and see the same problems
=>> on both when trying to use a USB Zip drive. In this case, attaching
=>> the drive fails with a number of "reset timeout" messages. If the
=>> drive is connected at boot time, the boot never finishes. The last
=>> comment I remember on the subject (from Lennart, I believe) was
=>> that the uhci reset code was broken and needed to be rearchitected.
=>>    I'll attach some USB/UHCI/UMASS debugging output that I collected
=>> from the SD11 a couple weeks ago in case anyone cares to explore
=>> the problem further. This was on a then-current 1.5_ALPHA2.
=>>
=>>                                         Gary D. Duzan
=>>
=>> #text/plain [usb-debug.txt] usb-debug.txt
=>>
=>> In Message <200010190358.e9J3wJV00298@js1.jsnet> ,
=>>    Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet> wrote:
=>>
=>> =>I have a couple usb thingies I'm playing with on my
=>> =>asus A7V athlon motherboard with built in usb ports.
=>> =>
=>> =>basically my problem is that when I plug in a logitech
=>> =>remote keyboard/mouse pair of usb plugs and then plug
=>> =>in my usr 56K voice fax modem usb connector, the usb
=>> =>probing stuff goes into a loop and finally panics the
=>> =>machine. In addition, when I power cycle the  modem,
=>> =>the whole usb chain of hubs seems to go through a whole
=>> =>shutdown/reset instead of just the one affected port.
=>> =>
=>> =>Do I have some misunderstanding of what I should be seeing?
=>> =>Is something still in progress on usb support?
=>> =>Will batman get out of this predicament? Tune in again
=>> =>folks, same bat time, same bat channel.
=>> =>
=>> =>BTW, my reason for playing with usb on the modem is that
=>> =>my moving hard drives around didn't actually fix the silo
=>> =>overflow problem I'm having with the serial port/modem
=>> =>combo. I figured that usb would potentially bypass the whole
=>> =>thing, but...
=>> =>
=>> =>another question related to this is how does one make the
=>> =>usb keyboard/mouse stuff take over for the ps/2 style keyboard
=>> =>mouse under netbsd? The bios sees the usb keyboard if the
=>> =>ps/2 one is unplugged, but then the machine won't work for
=>> =>console logins until a ps/2 keyboard is plugged in after the
=>> =>boot process is finished. I did manage to wsconscfg -k the
=>> =>second keyboard into operation afterwards.
=>> =>
=>> =>--
=>> =>Joseph Sarkes         jsarkes@tiac.net
=>