Subject: Re: usb device problems
To: Lennart Augustsson <>
From: Gary Duzan <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2000 15:54:06
   If someone in the Massachusetts area would loan me an analyzer
and give me an idea what to look for, I'd be happy to run some

					Gary D. Duzan

In Message <> ,
   Lennart Augustsson <> wrote:

=>Yes, something seem broken in the reset on VIA, but I'm not sure
=>what.  It's kinda hard to debug it without access to a machine and
=>a USB protocol analyzer.
=>    -- Lennart
=>Gary Duzan wrote:
=>>    Unfortunately, it seems that the uhci driver is somewhat broken
=>> for VIA chipset implementations. I just upgraded my old FIC SD11
=>> setup to a new DFI AK74 (KX133-based) one and see the same problems
=>> on both when trying to use a USB Zip drive. In this case, attaching
=>> the drive fails with a number of "reset timeout" messages. If the
=>> drive is connected at boot time, the boot never finishes. The last
=>> comment I remember on the subject (from Lennart, I believe) was
=>> that the uhci reset code was broken and needed to be rearchitected.
=>>    I'll attach some USB/UHCI/UMASS debugging output that I collected
=>> from the SD11 a couple weeks ago in case anyone cares to explore
=>> the problem further. This was on a then-current 1.5_ALPHA2.
=>>                                         Gary D. Duzan
=>> #text/plain [usb-debug.txt] usb-debug.txt
=>> In Message <200010190358.e9J3wJV00298@js1.jsnet> ,
=>>    Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet> wrote:
=>> =>I have a couple usb thingies I'm playing with on my
=>> =>asus A7V athlon motherboard with built in usb ports.
=>> =>
=>> =>basically my problem is that when I plug in a logitech
=>> =>remote keyboard/mouse pair of usb plugs and then plug
=>> =>in my usr 56K voice fax modem usb connector, the usb
=>> =>probing stuff goes into a loop and finally panics the
=>> =>machine. In addition, when I power cycle the  modem,
=>> =>the whole usb chain of hubs seems to go through a whole
=>> =>shutdown/reset instead of just the one affected port.
=>> =>
=>> =>Do I have some misunderstanding of what I should be seeing?
=>> =>Is something still in progress on usb support?
=>> =>Will batman get out of this predicament? Tune in again
=>> =>folks, same bat time, same bat channel.
=>> =>
=>> =>BTW, my reason for playing with usb on the modem is that
=>> =>my moving hard drives around didn't actually fix the silo
=>> =>overflow problem I'm having with the serial port/modem
=>> =>combo. I figured that usb would potentially bypass the whole
=>> =>thing, but...
=>> =>
=>> =>another question related to this is how does one make the
=>> =>usb keyboard/mouse stuff take over for the ps/2 style keyboard
=>> =>mouse under netbsd? The bios sees the usb keyboard if the
=>> =>ps/2 one is unplugged, but then the machine won't work for
=>> =>console logins until a ps/2 keyboard is plugged in after the
=>> =>boot process is finished. I did manage to wsconscfg -k the
=>> =>second keyboard into operation afterwards.
=>> =>
=>> =>--
=>> =>Joseph Sarkes