Subject: Re: Intel based VME boards and NetBSD for Intel
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/18/2000 07:02:36
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 01:51:10AM -0400, Gregg C Levine wrote:

 > Here is a question that might not have occurred to any of you yet: Can NetBSD
 > be installed on an Intel based VME bus board? What I would do is copy over the
 > portions of the vme68k kernel that correspond to VME services to a function
 > specific kernel, after successfully booting NetBSD on the hypothetical VME bus

That probably won't work.  The VME controller is probably very different
on the Intel board, and you have to deal with other things like byte order,
etc.

You'd need to get full documentation on the board and then write the
appropriate drivers for the glue logic.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>