Subject: Re: Off-Topic: Terminal Server
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/2000 10:30:28
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Dr. Rene Hexel wrote:
> > Yup.  C-a H interactively or "log on" in ~/.screen
>
>   Hum, the latter doesn't seem to be working (at least if screen is
> started in detached mode).  The only way for me to start logging is
> attaching the screen session(s) and typing ^A H (or ":log on") manually.

screen's "log on" command applies to the current screen.  To use it in
your .screenrc file, you need to put it *after* a "screen" command
that creates the screen.

>   Is there some way to automatically start (detached) screen sessions
> upon startup that immediately start logging and can later be attached
> to?

In your .screenrc:

	screen -t "title for screen 1" 1 /command/for/screen/1
	log on # for screen 1
	screen -t "title for screen 2" 2 /command/for/screen/2
	log on # for screen 2
	screen -t "title for screen 3" 3 /dev/tty03 # attach to serial port
	log on # for screen 3

In your startup script:

	screen -c /path/to/your/.screenrc -m -d "name"

When you want to attach to it later:

	screen -x -R "name"

--apb (Alan Barrett)