Subject: Re: NIS server stops responding...
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: C Kane <ckane@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/2000 17:09:09
m greywolf@starwolf.com on Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 12:38:59AM -0700

Previously, Greywolf wrote:
> Anyone else running NIS?  Anyone else have the problem where for some
> unknown, ungodly reason, ypserv stops responding?

I have a NIS server that I have not upgraded in some time.
It is NetBSD/i386 1.3I with an uptime of 635 days.

It has the problem you mention.  I was planning to upgrade to 1.5
once it's released, mostly because of the problems it has with NIS,
but also because I want to put 802.1q VLAN trunking on it.

In my situation, the NIS server will become CPU-bound:
root     25312 96.3  0.8  1636 2092 ??  Rs   Fri11AM  2099:19.79 ypserv -d
and will stop responding to any NIS requests.

If you learn anything, please let me know.

-- Chuck