Subject: Re: Inserting wavelan card disrupts USB sound playback?
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2000 17:50:49
In message <20001011164939.N20533@dr-evil.z.zembu.com>Jason R Thorpe writes
>On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 04:31:29PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing that the splimp() around all of if_up() is the culprit,
> > since it's OK if I bring the interface up a second time (or ifconfig
> > it down, when its already down) and that does all the same SIOC
> > ioctls, right up to where the kernel checkis if the interface is already up
> > (down).
>
>No, the culprit is the code that frobs the power for the PCMCIA slot.

Hm.  That explains a pause when the card itself is inserted or
removed, and with the wi0, I do see that with the USB speakers; its
not nearly as long as when bringig the if  up or down.

However, on the other Vaio, the one where SB-compat ("legacy audio"
works, I can do the exact same sequence of operations, and there, I
dont get any audio drops, either at card insert/remove or ifconfig'ing.

Is it that USB needs service much more frequently (every 20 ms), or
that the legacy audio uses irq5 while both usb host and the
cardbus bridge are on irq9; or both?