Subject: Re: Inserting wavelan card disrupts USB sound playback?
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Gregorio.Stanford.EDU>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2000 16:31:29
In message <200010112042.NAA04105@Greyhawk.DSG.Stanford.EDU>Jonathan Stone writ
es

>I've been using USB speakers in a Sony Vaio laptop running 1.5_ALPHA2,
>till I (or someone else) get a Yamaha DS-1 driver finished.  I've just
>started using a Wavelan card.  I notice a significant pause (about
>half a second) in playback whenever the Wavelan card is inserted.  I
>suspect DELAY() loops somewhere but havent confirmed it.

Okay.  Card insertion isn't the real culprit: ifconfig'ing the
interface up is what really causes the sound glitch. There's a
silence insertion of well over half a second. Very annoying.

I'm guessing that the splimp() around all of if_up() is the culprit,
since it's OK if I bring the interface up a second time (or ifconfig
it down, when its already down) and that does all the same SIOC
ioctls, right up to where the kernel checkis if the interface is already up
(down).

This is on a Vaio PCG-f3xx laptop, with Yamaha usb speakers, and
1.5_ALPHA2 as of late last week.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could try this with a non-USB
audio device, and let me know if the same problem appears.

thanks!