Subject: Re: generating /etc/rc.conf from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki - Stargate Industries, LLC - NOC <lavalamp@stargate.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2000 15:48:00
I don't quite understand references to /etc/defaults/rc.conf being involved in
`make world`.  As best I understand it in the "Other big BSD",
/etc/defaults/rc.conf defines all the variable for the RCs.
/etc/defaults/rc.conf is _never chagned_.  Should you wish to deviate from a
value there, you add the variable and the deviated value to /etc/rc.conf which
takes precedence.

But....

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 11:41:26 -0700
> From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
> To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
> Cc: current-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: generating /etc/rc.conf from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 01:34:08AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
>  > I got bored while updating my 1.5 machine tonight, and wrote a little
>  > script that helps in generating /etc/rc.conf from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>  > (and already existing defaults in /etc/rc.conf). Right now it does not
>  > handle ifconfig_* right, and writes it's output to /tmp/rc.conf.new.
>  >
>  > If someone wants to play with it or continue working on it:
>  >
>  > -> http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/rc_conf
>
> What is the point of this?  rc.conf is supposed to source in the
> defaults first, that way when you upgrade your system, you get sane
> defaults for new rc.d scripts that appear, without having to manually
> edit your configs.
>
> In light of this, "make install" when doing a build should install new
> rc scripts and /etc/defaults/* defaults.
>
> --
>         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>

Brian A. Seklecki                       Stargate Industries, LLC
Network Operations Center               http://www.stargate.net/
The Crane Building, Suite 300           (412) 316-STAR x7719 - voice
40 24th St.                             (412) 316-7899       - fax
Pittsburgh, PA  15222                   BSeklecki@Stargate.Net