Subject: Re: odd pppd problem (1.4.1)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Jesse Off <joff@gci-net.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2000 11:30:54
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> It must be limited to the lcp echo case. I use the "idle" option with
> demand dailing, and the daemon stays up as long as the rest of the
> system (about 10 days since I upgraded to 1.4.3, and counting). "pppd"
> even plays nice with "mgetty". I have a cron job do "ifconfig ppp0
> down" on the machine at work, so it won't dial while I'm at home.
>
> Frederick

Yes, my problem at least only occurs when I use the lcp-echo-interval
and
lcp-echo-failure options in /etc/ppp/*.  It seems my connection
sometimes gets in a zombie state where no packets get across but the
modem
doesn't drop carrier to provoke a redial.  The lcp-echo-* options are
very handy (when they work) for detecting this case and provoking a
redial.

//Jesse Off