Subject: Re: pciide cd-r trouble
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Sala <ssala@cc.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2000 12:23:16
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Steve Woodford wrote:

> > cd1(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 0, DMA mode 1 (using DMA data transfers)
>
> > Then a question to to previous, why does the kernel choose pio mode 0
> > for cd1, even though it supports pio mode 3?
>
> I've had similar grief with various IDE CD drives. Try building a
> kernel from a config file which forces no DMA, PIO mode 3 for cd1:
>
>       cd1 at atapibus? drive ? flags 0x0ffb

thanks! I only had time to try out blanking a cdrw-disk after a boot,
and it worked right away! The kernel didn't cry about anything. This
is clearly a good sign, because previously I couldn't blank a cdrw no
matter what I tried.

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Were you using pciide in 1.4? Could you try 1.5 without pciide, or
> 	with lower DMA flags options?
>
>                 David/absolute

I'm pretty sure I did (if it was the default). But I'm not 100% sure.

Next I'll have to try burning a 1:1 cd-audio with cdrdao. If that works,
then I'm convinced everything works. :)  If not, I'll post the new errors
here as well.

Thanks again!

 /      \         Sebastian Sala             //       /      \
                                            ^^