Subject: Re: Serious trouble with ep driver on 1.5 branch.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/2000 17:55:12
On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:55:59PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 03:55:40PM +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
> > AFAIKS both ends configure as half-duplex as they should. Also tried a
> > more high-end switch to rule out buffering problems between 100baseT
> > and 10baseT ports. What stuns me is that these network cards work just
> > fine in my thinkpad (attached to the same switch). Also, NetBSD-1.4.2
> > works just fine.
> >
> > The link light goes out after receipt of a burst (of about 17Kbs) of
> > packets (it's not an activity light). Each time a few secs before the link
> > goes down, filesystem activity stops (I ran a `ls -R /` in the
> > background while trying to do an ftp to test this) and continues after
> > the link light blinked.
About five seconds before the link-light goes out, keyboard input
freezes too (not just filesystem). It resumes when it goes out (and
blinks on again shortly after that).

> > I'm clueless. Any ideas?
>
> Does netstat -i show any errors ?
Yes, occasionally. Not very many though. After boottime (i.e. after
dhclient and rtsol have run) it shows three output errors. Starting an
ftp yields an occasional input error. Somehthing like 4 in 500 packets
received. Note that this is on the laptop that works relatively well,
i.e. has lousy performance but doesn't panic often.

The second laptop (with slightly older 3com card model) panics most of
the time immediately after an ifconfig ep0 up, in nd6_na_input(); i.e.
upon receipt of a (probably just the first packet it sees) IPv6
neighbour discovery packet.

> Also look at the switch end if possible.
Not now, would need to hookup a terminal to it and don't have
something I can use for that here right now.

Feico.