Subject: Re: Can't pap authenticate with 1.5?
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2000 22:23:48
"Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:

> Ok, I'm trying to get my 486 to run my ppp connection for my little net.
> I have it working currently with an Alpha running 1.4.2, and am having
> trouble getting the i386 working with it running 1.5_ALPHA2.
>
> I'm using the exact same config files on both machines, save for differences
> in which tty is hooked up to the modem. I'm using pap with no problems
> on the Alpha.
>
> My /etc/ppp/peers/intrex file:
> /dev/ttyC1 115200 crtscts
> 209.42.217.10:209.42.217.9
> defaultroute
> lock
> persist
> netmask 255.255.255.252
> name kpneal
> kdebug 1
> debug
> connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/intrex'
>
> An approximation of my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file: (you know the drill)
> kpneal intrex doobeedoobeedoo 209.42.217.10
>

> The error I get is "remote host is not authorized for ip 209.42.217.9".

I get the same thing. I am about to run gdb on it as soon as my wife
lets me take down the link. Looking at the log, it has nothing to do
with pap. This message comes out after pap authorisation has
succeeded.  Your configuration says the remote must have ip address
209.42.217.9, if you look at the log, the remote will be announcing
its self as 209.42.217.9, yet for some reason the test fails.

BTW, if you want to see the messages enabled by the "debug" option,
make sure syslog.conf has an entry for daemon.debug.

Ian