Subject: Re: Wireless ethernet advise requested....
To: None <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2000 13:10:43
   In message <200010010735.e917ZxK01174@grosse.bisbee.fugue.com>, Ted Lemon write
   s:

   >> I don't think this is really a fair criticism -- I don't think any
   >> other access points that have only 1 slot will do this either...
   >
   >I mean that you can't do:
   >

   >  |                                                            |
   >  |                                                            |
   >  +---airport base-| \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ |-airport base---+
   >  |                                                            |
   >  |                                                            |

   >wire 1                                                      wire 2
   >
   >This, to me, seems like a pretty glaring omission.   :'(

   Ah.

   I hadn't thought about this [or rather, I had, but I had assumed it
   would Just Work (tm)]; I suppose you've tested it and it doesn't work?

   Thinking about it, I guess the problem is that both want to be in seperate
   BSSes, and there's no way to make one join another BSS. Of course,
   this is just a software issue, which makes "glaring omission" seems
   a reasonable statement.

   "Sigh".

   On the other hand, the number of cases where you want to do this are
   relatively limitted...

   --jhawk

[Following all of this with interest]

The Lucent [orinoco] WaveLAN POINT-II Access Point Bridge implies that it
can do the above.  Quoting from an ad:

"Secondly, it enables you to create a wireless backbone, with the
wireless-to-wireless bridging feature, that allows you to build an
extension to your wired network without expanding the wired backbone."

The Lucent device has space for two cards, but I presume that one could
just put on in each end and make it do the above picture.  I also wonder
if you couldn't put in two cards on one end and have it bridge in other
wireless devices.  Nothing says you can't, but I don't know...

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://mellon.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]