Subject: Re: Secure Shell now in mainline
To: Ben Collver <collver@softhome.net>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2000 21:59:09
On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 06:48:03PM -0700, Ben Collver wrote:
> > Please note that the OpenSSH-based implementation is a temporary measure;
> > we will be replacing it with a completely independent implementation as
> > soon as that other implementation is ready (within the next couple of
> > months, I am hoping).
>
> Out of curiosity, why go with a completely independent implementation?
> I'm pretty clueless, so I'd settle for a "just because".
	Because the completely independent implementation is being written
with a bit more emphasis on code quality than the openssh based version
There are several excellent developers working on it.  It will be released
as soon as it is sufficiently stable and secure to do so (and has a couple
missing features added) (yes, within the next couple months).

eric