Subject: Can't pap authenticate with 1.5?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2000 00:11:41
Ok, I'm trying to get my 486 to run my ppp connection for my little net.
I have it working currently with an Alpha running 1.4.2, and am having
trouble getting the i386 working with it running 1.5_ALPHA2.

I'm using the exact same config files on both machines, save for differences
in which tty is hooked up to the modem. I'm using pap with no problems
on the Alpha.

My /etc/ppp/peers/intrex file:
/dev/ttyC1 115200 crtscts
209.42.217.10:209.42.217.9
defaultroute
lock
persist
netmask 255.255.255.252
name kpneal
kdebug 1
debug
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/intrex'

An approximation of my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file: (you know the drill)
kpneal intrex doobeedoobeedoo 209.42.217.10

The error I get is "remote host is not authorized for ip 209.42.217.9".
Why would ppp work fine on 1.4.2/Alpha and not work with the same config
files on 1.5_ALPHA2/i386? Did I miss an important change somewhere?

Incidentally, can a 16450 serial chip handle 115200 (no fifo)? This box
has a VL-bus I/O card with two 16450 serial ports on it. Why would a
company bother spending the extra money to make a VL-bus I/O card
(instead of just an ISA I/O card) yet put crappy serial ports on it?
Um, like, "whatever" (shakes head)

Thanks all.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...