Subject: Re: USB Nikon Coolpix 990
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/2000 09:26:08
Lennart Augustsson writes:
> Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:
> >   Sep 21 20:43:16 pasillo /netbsd: ugen0: Nikon Nikon Digital Camera E990, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
> > How does one go about deciphering how to use this???
> First try getting the docs from Nikon.  If that doesn't work you can
> try using a protocol analyzer.  A cheap alternative to the latter is
> a Windoze program that dumps all USB traffic (found at
> http://www.jps.net/~koma/).

I'll try to get a reply from Nikon, but I suspect they will not be
helpful.  This camera has both a serial line download protocol and a
USB protocol.  The core serial-line version protocol is the same one
used in many digital cameras (Itojun, remember the camedia protocol?
This is yet another one of those cameras!)  That protocol has been
under NDA for over 3 years now.

If I were to take a guess, I'd assume that they simply put the old
rs-232 version of the protocol over a USB pipe.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
Coming soon: GPS mapping tools for Open Systems. http://www.gnomad-mapping.com/