Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2/i386 bootable CD image available
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/2000 16:47:43
On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 03:34:49PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Pållen wrote:
> > > Worked for me. How did you write the CD?
> >
> > Hmm. As usual with cdrecord. Has worked before, but then there was the
> > [read text] problem with the boot file. Now it doensn't even try to boot.
>
> Can you please give some *exact* facts? Which cdrecord options did you
> use, EXACTLY? What boot file problem are you talking about?

A few days ago someone posted about having made disk image and said that for
him it booted on a SCSI CD drive but not an "IDE" drive. I made one and it
did boot on a PC here via atapi. I took this image away and tried on an
older computer with CD on atapibus and it didn't boot. I don't know whether
it is related or not, but the BIOS on that computer autodetected the CD drive
as using PIO mode 3, whereas NetBSD used mode 4 and was unhappy. That matters
after booting rather than during though doesn't it?

Cheers,

Patrick