Subject: Re: Bootable CD question
To: CyberSpiff <spiff@cybernarian.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/2000 15:55:07
On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 10:08:25AM -0400, CyberSpiff wrote:
> This one really has me stumped. I built the latest current (avoiding the
> cleandir errors), and tried to build a bootable CD. For some reason, the CD is
> bootable from SCSI cdroms but not from IDE cdroms. I'm sure that I must have
> done something wrong. But, to confuse the matter more, on the same IDE cdroms
> Linux boots fine.
>
> Here's what I used to make the ISO image:
>
> mkhybrid -o output.iso -b i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs \
>  -c boot.catalog -a -l -J -r -L /usr/src/release
>
> And to burn the image:
>
> cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cd0d speed=4 output.iso
>
> Any help?

I just made one (thanks for the tip) and it booted up on a Dell with a:

atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <CD-ROM CDU701, , 1.0r> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bit data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2

I didn't do anything different, other than -no-iso-translate instead of -a
as -a doesn't seem to appear in my mkisofs, though it does in the manpage.
FWIW:

# mkisofs -version
mkisofs 1.13 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.5E)
# cdrecord -version
Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-netbsd1.5E) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling

Cheers,

Patrick