Subject: Re: adding a command to a boot floppy
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/11/2000 22:13:44
On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Laine Stump wrote:

>I just tried adding /bin/expr to boot-tiny.fs. I added a line to
>ramdisk-tiny/list:
>
>    LINK	ramdiskbin			bin/expr
>
>and added expr to a line in ramdisk-tiny/ramdiskbin.conf:
>
>   progs bad144 cat chmod chown chroot cp dd df disklabel dump ed expr
>
>when I do make in that directory, I can see that it's doing "something"
>with expr.o, etc, but when I cd over to bootfloppy-tiny, make, and
>create a diskette from the resulting obj/boot-tiny.fs, it doesn't have
>the expr command, and even creating a link from one of the other
>commands to expr results in it printing a usage message for ramdiskbin
>when I run it.
>
>So what is the other change I'm missing?

Only just saw this -- I was on holiday last week.

If you've got everything right, after running make in ramdisk-tiny you should
have (assuming you just added expr):

	expr.lo
	expr_stub.c
	expr_stub.o

Also, ramdiskbin.c should have been modified to invoke the entry point
_crunched_expr_stub() when argv[0] is "expr" (ramdiskbin.mk should have been
updated as well).  I vaguely remember that I may have had to remove
ramdiskbin.cache by hand to get make to DTRT.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |