Subject: Re: spam to my list address
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 22:48:32
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Jay Maynard wrote:

# Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:15:38 -0500
# From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
# To: current-users@netbsd.org
#
# On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 06:12:36PM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
# > hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net ("Gregg C Levine") writes:
# > > What about configuring the listserver so that it rejects postings
# > > that do not correspond to a subscribed address?
# > It's not a particularly good idea, and has been rejected before.
# > "search the list archives to find out why."

"Lemme 'splain...no, that take too long.  Lemme sum up."

Say you've got a question for a particular list, like tech-kern.
Say you're not subscribed, but that's the best place to ask the question.
Under your scenario, Thy Game Is Over.

# It is, however, standard practice on the vast majority of Internet mailing
# lists these days, precisely as an anti-spam measure.

# Failing that, how about making the NetBSD mail server check the RBL before
# forwarding?

Not a bad idea, as long as it's doing the right thing with the RBL.
I have the misfortune to live on an address owned by above.net, and they
block the ORBS scanner, so they have been put on the RBL because no
reliable information has been obtained to the contrary.

This is bad for me because, due to my IP, I get rejected trying to mail
to one of either planix.com or weird.org (or do I have them backwards?).
pobox.com also rejects me because of this.

#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: For The Network Generation