Subject: Re: spam to my list address
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 15:49:46
atatat@atatdot.net (Andrew Brown) writes:
> i'm subscribed to the netbsd lists with addresses that i've *never*
> used anywhere else.  these are addresses that i've *only* used for
> conversing with majordomo@netbsd.org.  i just got some spam at two of
> those addresses.  can someone please make *sure* that the who command
> is disabled for all netbsd lists?  i know it works on at least one (i
> just checked), probably two (i got the same spam at two netbsd list
> addresses), and possibly more.

even if 'who' was completely disabled, there are other ways to get all
or most e-mail addresses subscribed to the lists.

Of course, you can shut them down to some degree, but if you do so
completely you'd actually lose very useful functionality.

I'll leave discovery of the mechanism(s) as an exercise for the
reader.  8-)

chris