Subject: Re: secure modes...?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 13:19:09
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

# You're right -- disklabel operations, as well as operations on partitions
# which overlap mounted partitions, should be prohibited (or, more precisely,
# *because* disklabel operations are operations on a partition which overlaps
# a mounted partition, they should be prohibited at securelevel 1).

I look at it this way:  You should be permitted to change things which
do not affect mounted partitions.  Of course, changing the geometry
of the disk should be prohibited if anything is mounted.

# Unfortunately, when I proposed this change there were a large number of
# objections.  That's why there's a securelevel 2.

Does init just decrement the securelevel, or does it roll it back to
zero in single-user mode?  (If the former, then running at securelevel 2
is really screwed since you then can't do anything useful in single-user
mode...)

# Thor

				--*greywolf;
--
If anyone requests a reason as to why Windows NT is inferior to UNIX,
refer them to the process scheduler, for starters.  Of course, users