Subject: Re: secure modes...?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 10:14:53
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

# Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 10:43:00 -0400
# From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
# To: current-users@netbsd.org
# Subject: secure modes...?
#
# Hi, all. I'm running 1.5_ALPHA2 (built Thursday) on an i386. Browsing
# around in the init(8) man page, I read:
#
#      1     Secure mode - system immutable and system append-only flags may not
#            be turned off; disks for mounted filesystems, /dev/mem, and
#            /dev/kmem are read-only.
#
# I'm running in secure level 1, but I was able to unmount a filesystem on
# my box and change its type with disklabel. Should I have been able to do
# this? This would seem to imply that I could have done pretty much anything
# I liked to the disklabel.

I would think that if you can unmount it, you should be able to change
its type.  Were you able to change anything else on the disklabel?

# Is my reading of the init(8) man page incorrect? I figured that since there
# were mounted filesystems on the disk in question, it would have been off-
# limits for labelling and such.

See above.  I think it's behaving as proscribed.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD:  Don't login as root, use the su command.