Subject: lfs stuff not working...?
To: None <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 11:13:54

The fstab(5) man page says:

           lfs     a log-structured file-system.  Currently does not work.

and, indeed, I'm finding this to be true.

* I can't get newfs_lfs to actually *touch* a partition without the -F

* Once newfs_lfs'd, I get "operation not supported by device" on trying
to mount the new LFS partition.

The disklabel was correct. I've used LFS before, so there wasn't anything
strange and new. (I made sure it wasn't just a problem where the in-core
disklabel didn't match the on-disk label through the aid of my computer's
power switch. After coming back up, it showed that partition as 4.4LFS.)

This is all on an i386 running 1.5_ALPHA from Thursday, FWIW.

Since I've been playing with securelevel stuff, I made sure to do this
stuff in single user mode, with securelevel explicitly saying "0".

Oh well... Back to ffs with softdeps, then. I was hoping to give LFS a
try! We might wish to *not* encourage lots of people to try LFS if it's
in its final state for 1.5. :(

Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind drea=
ms  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropp=
ed ((  from day's caravan." - Rabindranath Tago=

Version: GnuPG v1.0.2 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see