Subject: secure modes...?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/2000 10:43:00
--zBZpvCNcoXwafAjP

Hi, all. I'm running 1.5_ALPHA2 (built Thursday) on an i386. Browsing
around in the init(8) man page, I read:

     1     Secure mode - system immutable and system append-only flags may =
not
           be turned off; disks for mounted filesystems, /dev/mem, and
           /dev/kmem are read-only.

I'm running in secure level 1, but I was able to unmount a filesystem on
my box and change its type with disklabel. Should I have been able to do
this? This would seem to imply that I could have done pretty much anything
I liked to the disklabel.

Is my reading of the init(8) man page incorrect? I figured that since there
were mounted filesystems on the disk in question, it would have been off-
limits for labelling and such.

If my understanding is incorrect, please tell me. If it *is* correct and I
should send-pr this, please tell me that, too.

--=20
   Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us             E w i g e
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  Meerschweinchenkraft

--zBZpvCNcoXwafAjP