Subject: Re: IPv6 Comment
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2000 13:16:26
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

# On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 12:00:06PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
#
# > Well, no -- ports are service identifiers, no?  That's a *what*,
# > from my naive point of view...
#
# not really. Yes, most widely used services use a well known port number,
# but thats not mandatory. In general, any service can be listening to any
# port number, and for the "calling" side, really any port number will be
# used.

Okay, I stand enlightened.  Thank you!  (there's obviously some things
about networking that I didn't quite have a handle on, or was led to
believe differently.)

# 	-is

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: The Last Bastion of the true UNIX Religion.