Subject: Re: IPv6 Comment
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2000 12:00:06
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Matthew Orgass wrote:

[> that I wrote...]
# > information somewhere in the first chunk of space?
#
#   No, IP does not have ports.  This is in TCP and UDP and is why port
# translators are necessarily transport protocol dependent.

D'oh! <smacks head, recovers...>  "I knew that..."
(but forgot it)

# > Isn't host-from a where, and port-from a what?
#
#   Not really.  Ports are sub-host identifiers.

Well, no -- ports are service identifiers, no?  That's a *what*,
from my naive point of view...

#   Unfortunately, they don't provide any real information about what they
# are proposing.

[like I said, IPv6 are the only people playing the game right now.]

#   Um, IP headers don't have MAC addresses either.

...maybe IP headers don't, OK.  I was looking at the whole packet
(in which the MAC from/to are the first 12 bytes)

#   All you need to do to separate what from where is have two numbers in
# each header, one used for routing and the other for host identification.

Isn't that what source routing was all about and was subsequently disabled
because it was seen as giving away too much information?

# Matthew Orgass
# darkstar@pgh.net

				--*greywolf;
--