Subject: Re: NAT (was Re: IPv6 Comment)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/2000 13:25:18
Andrew Brown writes:

> yes, in both directions, but not necessarily in the same mechanism.
> nat actually gets my friend more bandwidth out of his cable modem.
>
> his cable modem uses regular old 33.6 dialup to send outbound traffic.
> as a result, he gets nice input, but almost no output.  what i did for
> him was set up a nat gateway on one of his machines (the one to which
> the cable modem delivers inbound traffic --- he has only one address)
> and set up *that* machine with a default route to his isdn provider.
>
> the result is he gets 112k outbound instead of 33.6, and a big fat
> round routing path.

Yes, I like this concept, but does it work by setting the source address
on the ISDN packets to the cable modem address?  If that is the case
this is broken by anti-spoofing access lists on the ISDN provider's
end.  As ISPs move (slowly) towards filtering inbound traffic from
their customers to only allow valid source addresses this type of thing
just flat doesn't work.

-Andrew