Subject: Re: ATM & NetBSD/i386
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: David W. Talmage <talmage@ricochet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/2000 08:11:23
>I have a need to set up a dedicated box running snort on an ATM WAN
>between two university campuses. The box, a P300 running NetBSD, will
>I'm interested in any info regarding ATM and NetBSD. And a source for
>ENI/Adaptec ATM cards would be greatly appreciated.

Let me put in a plug for some ATM signaling code that I worked on.  It's
called SEAN (Signaling Entity for ATM Networks) and it's a complete
implementation of UNI 4.0 plus an API for native ATM applications.  It's
available for free from the Naval Research Laboratory,
http://www.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/project/public/sean/SEAN-dev.html.

If you have a NIC, then SEAN gives you real ATM.  Currently, the only NIC that
SEAN supports is the FORE Systems SBA-200e on Sun SPARC/Solaris.  It would be
nice to have support for other ATM NICs and for our Favorite OS.

If you don't have a NIC, you can use SEAN to simulate ATM over TCP/IP.  SEAN
runs fine this way under NetBSD.

David Talmage