Subject: Re: NetBSD Terminal Server Advice???
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Feico Dillema <feico.dillema@invenia.no>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/2000 16:48:25
On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 10:20:28AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 07:10:50PM +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
>  > We need to setup a terminal server for a server farm, and try to find
>  > out whether we can use an `ordinary' Intel PC running NetBSD for that.
>  > It would need 32 serial ports, so I'm looking for 8 or 16 port PCI
>  > multi-port serial cards that are supported by NetBSD (or FreeBSD?) and
>  > are easily available. If these are not to be found, then any hints and
>  > tips to alternatives?
>
> I like the Cyclades Z series .. the Ze is a PCI card with a MIPS CPU
> on it, and you can plug up to 64 serial ports (16 per expander box)
> into it with SCSI cables.  It's a little pricey, but it works really
> well.  You can order it with 1 card + 2 boxes for 32 ports.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the advice! It's a great piece of equipment and the only
pain we've had is that our client overruled our choice of OS (i.e.
NetBSD) for Debian Linux. Expensive choice it appeared.

Although NetBSD is my personal favorite, I've never been anti-Linux
but after this introduction I've learned some new lessons.
Linux doesn't even come close to the usability and maintainability
of NetBSD as server OS.

Well, I won't go into the details, but if you want a glimpse of what
I'm talking about, try `man syslogd' on a debian machine and evaluate
what you read on its usability for tracking down a problem on short
notice (e.g. what's the -r option for precisely? why has syslogd close
to zero performance on a high-end machine with default settings?). Arf.

Just wanted to say Thanks! to Jason but also all the others that make
NetBSD and its crowd what it is now and will be in the future...

Feico.