Subject: Re: newsyslog
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@nospam.office.emsi.priv.at>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@PASTA.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2000 15:59:24
On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 01:13:01PM +0000, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
> | > NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 machine:
> | >
> | > /usr/bin/newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0
> |
> | I guess something is wrong with your /var/run/syslogd.pid-file.
> | (newsyslog reads it in to find out syslogd's PID)
> | Try killing syslogd and starting it again.
> |
> | If your syslogd creates a "syslog.pid" instead of "syslogd.pid" file in
> | /var/run you have a very old binary of syslogd laying around somewhere...
> | (Or maybe your newsyslog is too old?)
>
>   Same problem here, on a freshly installed 1.5_ALPHA. And indeed,
> there is no syslog*.pid in /var/run. It seems the syslogd just doesn't
> create a pid file -- something broken here lately?

hmmm, my /var/run is suspiciously empty too. also missing are
dmesg.boot and log (syslog socket) and I think some more pid files are
missing. I am fairly sure these were there shortly after the last
reboot. I'll try a reboot later and see how it looks then. Spooky or I
must have done something very silly lately...

# ls /var/run
cron.pid  inetd.pid sendmail6.pid  sshd.pid       totd.pid       utmp

Feico.