Subject: Re: newsyslog
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2000 11:49:58
On Wed, Aug 30 2000 at 11:24:07 +0200, Feico Dillema wrote:
> I get these from cron occasionally (once/twice a day) on my
> NetBSD-1.5_ALPHA2 machine:
>
> /usr/bin/newsyslog: preposterous process number: 0
> Any idea why?
I guess something is wrong with your /var/run/syslogd.pid-file.
(newsyslog reads it in to find out syslogd's PID)
Try killing syslogd and starting it again.

If your syslogd creates a "syslog.pid" instead of "syslogd.pid" file in
/var/run you have a very old binary of syslogd laying around somewhere...
(Or maybe your newsyslog is too old?)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.