Subject: Re: performance slowdown after longish uptime
To: None <rearnsha@arm.com>
From: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/2000 22:27:44
	From:  Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
	Date:  Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:22:13 +0100

> Well I saw a problem like this a while back (it started about the time
> that softdep was integrated).  The symptoms were similar to those you
> describe -- heavy disk activity after the machine had been up for about a
> week.

> But that problem was fixed somewhere around 1.4X by Chuck based on my PR.
> See kern/9792 for details.

I thought I'd remembered seeing a PR that described something like what I
was seeing but I couldn't find it when I went looking recently.  The PR
says fixed in 1.23 of vfs_cache.c and I'm definitely running with 1.25.

Any ideas what I can monitor to track down what is actually happening in
this case?

cheers
mark