Subject: Re: z-axis and usb wheel mouse
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2000 21:39:43
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> That's all there is, so far as I can tell.  You then turn buttons 4 and 5
> into an axis.

I'm beginning to come to that conclusion too.

/usr/xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86_Mouse.c does
extract the Z-axis information from the wsmouse device, but then
essentially discards everything but the direction of motion.

There is another X11 input device, a tablet which does manage to pass
3-extra axis of information to the client (pressure, x-tilt, y-tilt).
I may try hacking my local copy of the xfree code to put the mouse's
z-axis into the "pressure" slot and calling the tablet output code.

I'm very surprised that nobody has done anything like this yet.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/