Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA/ISAPnP support?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2000 18:14:36
<jmcneill@invisible.yi.org> (Jared D. McNeill) writes:

> Has anybody ever used one of these cards? They're quite popular in my
> area, since it's what the telco (NBTel) sells their broadband
> clients. The last two people I've installed firewalls for had one of these
> cards; the first person had another card lying around, unfortunately the
> second didn't so I was stuck with Linux. Will a new driver have to be
> written to get these cards working, or will using the driver for the PCI
> version be good enough (I'd try now, but don't have a card handy)?

The EtherExpress Pro/10 are ISA cards supported by the iy(4)
driver. The EtherExpress Pro/10+ are PCI cards supported by the fxp(4)
driver. Besides attaching on different busses, the chipsets are quite
different.

The ISA cards are OK, but not great. There's no support for the ISAPnP
mode, so you need to configure non-ISAPnP mode and a sane IRQ and IO
port range with the Windows-based config tool.

        - Nathan