Subject: Re: GUI package admin tool
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@westley.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2000 21:40:14
Hi Jeremy,

The tool looks neat - but I have a few problems with the implementation
language - since neither perl or tk are in the base system distribution at
the moment, you'll have to compile the tool statically a la XF86Setup, and
that may prove to be a fairly cumbersome beast.

Having said that, it's a whole damn sight better than what we have at the
moment.

The tkpkg that was taken from the FreeBSD ports collection needed no
directory changes, because that is what used to be used on their CDs to
manage installation of what we would call binary packages. So it would just
have been executed in the same directory as all the binary packages were
located.

Cross-posted to tech-pkg, which is where we should be discussing this kind
of thing.

Hope this helps,
Alistair