Subject: SA_NOCLDWAIT not working?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/21/2000 05:17:39
The following code should prevent zombies, right?

  struct sigaction act;

  sigemptyset(&act.sa_mask);
  act.sa_flags = SA_NOCLDWAIT;
  act.sa_handler = SIG_IGN;
  if (sigaction(SIGCHLD, &act, NULL) < 0) {
    perror("sigaction");
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
  }

In -current (ALPHA2) it doesn't appear to work.  As a result, the system
gets very unstable pretty fast.  I can work around it but I suspect that
other programs, perl seems to be one, do the same because eventually I
get piles of perl zombies floating around.

I am rebuilding the entire system in case it is a glitch from my latest
upgrade but I thought I would mention it in case anyone else was seeing
this and was wondering what the problem was.