Subject: Re: "airport"-friendly wireless networking?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gopi D Flaherty <gf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/2000 15:30:37
Excerpts from mail: 20-Aug-100 "airport"-friendly wireless.. by Peter
Seebach@plethora.n
> Do we support any wireless cards that will actually talk to a Mac running
> MacOS using an "airport" card?  I am currently using the (incompatible)
> Aviator cards, and I'm looking at alternatives since it looks like an
> Airport powerbook may be coming my way.

Apple's cards are very slightly customized / OEM'ed Lucent 802.11 cards.
They can inter-operate with the standard Lucent 2.4GHz cards.  In fact,
the AirPort base station contains a retail Lucent Silver Turbo card
(inside a very cool looking case).

The Lucent cards are supported by the wi driver, and I believe other
802.11 cards are also supported.

Note that I have been told there may be some interoperability issues
with 802.11 devices. The standard is complex, and apparently not all
devices nicely talk to each other.  I have not experienced this, but
network design people at Carnegie Mellon have told me this.

gopi.

[       Gopi Flaherty       |   "...and if I opened my heart to you     ]
[    gf2e@andrew.cmu.edu    |        and showed you my weak side,       ]
[ Computer Science Major    |             what would you do?"           ]
[ Author of NewtKey, the Newton Keyboard driver for Newtons with OS 1.x ]
[     Check out http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/gf2e/newtkey      ]
[  (c) Gopi Flaherty 2000 Not for distribution on the Microsoft Network ]