Subject: Re: NetBSD Terminal Server Advice???
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2000 21:43:10
Soren S. Jorvang writes:

> Digi have a 8-port box (also has 2 hub ports). I have had
> positive answers to requests for documentation several times
> over a long period of time, but so far I still don't have any.
>
> It has an Intel USB microcontroller and two 16552's, but I
> believe it uses a custom serial protocol rather than one that
> just bridges the 16552's.

Also the "rocket port" guys (Comptrol?) have USB version.  IIRC they
have 2/4/8 port models.  I don't know about docs or anything, I just
saw the ad in the DataComm Warehouse catalog. :-)

Speaking of the Rocket Port cards, I have one languishing here.  Does
anyone out there have plans for a driver? (or a FreeBSD driver port?)

I also saw an ad for another company with an "ethernet serial hub" which
appeared to be more like a classic terminal server except(*) it only worked
with Windows NT (I think) via a proprietary protocol.  I would imagine a
good sniffer program and some DLC drivers might enough. :-)

-Andrew

(*) Not that only working via NT via a proprietary protocol is all that
much like a classic terminal server unless you think about LAT only ones.