Subject: Re: 'UPDATING' file for those tracking -current
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2000 16:26:53
On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, James Chacon wrote:

> 1.4 -> 1.5?
>
> Doesn't that involved an a.out to elf conversion? I did my conversion with

	If you are on i386 or sparc, yes. For many other platforms no.

> multiple rounds of toolchain builds (linked statically) installed into
> alternate locations. It's not a simple process to layout/document for folks
> so is this something instead that should have the caveat "download a snapshot
> of 1.5 and then bring yourself up to current"?

	For a.out->ELF conveting ports we have an 'a.out->ELF' conversion
	page in the Documentation, though you should be able to specify
	OBJECT_FMT=a.out in /etc/mk.conf, update everything to current,
	then rebuild with the current tools to switch from a.out to ELF
	(which saved me some pain on the sparc at the time :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --