Subject: Re: arp warning message
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2000 08:13:35
On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 05:24:15PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> so...if i send a reply to my machine at from,
> it should get a warning printed, yesh?

I'm not sure I fully made me understood.

ARP packets aren't IP packets. They don't have IP src and destination.

If you send an ARP packet

- from any MAC address to the MAC address of,
that contains
- a reply claiming that is at another MAC address

(at the same time claiming that is at its own MAC address, in
 the requestor field of the ARP packet; I'm not sure what happens if you
 use a 4th machines data there)

the message should be seen.

(This is a fine, but necessary distinction.)