Subject: Re: arp warning message
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/17/2000 19:46:54
On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 11:27:05AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> arplookup() in if_arp.c sometimes spews this message
>
>     "arplookup: unable to enter address for %s (%s)"
>
> and i thought i understood what triggered it, but apparently i'm
> wrong.  or...i'm not the net.hacker i thought i was.
>
> can someone please describe a packet or sequence of packets (i imagine
> two at most) which will trigger this message?  i can manufacture
> packets quite easily using bpf (except the ethernet source address),
> but can't get this code sequence to trigger.

I think[1] an ARP packet from a different IPv4 network on your Ethernet will
trigger it. To be precise: an ARP packet with the src IPv4 address in the
data area belonging to a IPv4 address which does not belong to the IPv4 network
configures on the incoming interface.

	-is

[1] But I'd have to check the source to verify.