Subject: re: SUBDIR_CHANGE (Was: SUBDIR_EXCLUDES)
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/2000 12:10:06
   On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Paul Goyette wrote:
   > Hmmm.  Sounds useful.  But wouldn't it be more useful if we could set it
   > to a list of _paths_ rather than just a single directory?  There's at
   > least a couple of places in the source tree where there are common names
   > lib/libc and regress/libc come to mind immediately.  It might be nice to
   > be able to SUBDIR_EXCLUDE regress/libc ...

   Under FreeBSD's scheme, you would simple create a file called
   ${SUBDIR_CHANGE}/regress/subdirdrop and put "libc" in that file.
   Then when the build gets to the regress subdirectory, bsd.subdir.mk
   will know to drop "libc" from the SUBDIR list.  It looks for files
   named subdirchange, subdiradd and subdirdrop in a directory named
   ${SUBDIR_CHANGE}/${DIRPRFX} (and FreeBSD uses ${DIRPRFX} in much the
   same way as NetBSD uses ${_THISDIR_}).

the thing is, i don't want to have to create this shadow tree when i just
want to do something once.  that's why i'd prefer this cmd-line based
(but i wouldn't oppose having both available).