Subject: Re: Postfix
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/2000 12:34:07
At 11:59 PM -0700 8/12/00, Pete Naylor wrote:
>I understand.  One suggestion I might have would be to offer several
>different MTAs as packages, and document the download and install of the
>preferred one as part of the OS install.

I don't think this will fly: it makes the installation much harder
because the admin then needs to take a second step.

>   Still, I'd be perfectly happy to
>have sendmail continue to be included (though not listening on the SMTP
>port by default).

Very good point! If we want the system to function out of the box, we
need an SMTP *sending* system, not a receiving one. This leads to a
higher level of security because there is one less port being
listened on by bloatware. Of course, we could ship postfix the same
way, but (as is pointed out many times) it isn't IPv6 yet.