Subject: XFree86 4.0, NetBSD/i386 1.5_ALPHA, and Mesa (GLU/glut)
To: None <smd@ebone.net, current-users@netbsd.org, tech-x11@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2000 16:51:39
I'm cross-posting to tech-x11, where the remainder of this thread (if any)
belongs.  (^&  (Hm, a bit also deserves to go to tech-pkg, but 2 mailing
lists in one message is probably enough.)

What I did, and what appears to work, is to install XFree86 v4.0 (or
later, one presumes), and then build (but not install) Mesa-glx.  I
manually installed the Mesa-glx libGLU and libglut files into
/usr/local/lib/, created /usr/local/include (and /usr/local/include/GL/),
and moved glu.h and glut.h over to ../include/GL.  (Note that since these
are not properly part of the X server, I thought it best to seperate them
from the X11 hierarchy.)

I don't know if there's a cleaner way to do GLU/glut under XFree86, right
now.  I haven't really peeked inside of Mesa to say if my solution is a
decent one or not.  Despite smd's suggestion of a package, I'd be
reluctant to suggest building a package out of it, without at least a bit
more testing.  (glut is, by design, probably safe to transplant this way.
Mesa's GLU is a re-implementation of GLU, though, from what the copyrights
seem to say.  It may depend upon Mesa[-glx].)

(glut we can probably build independantly as a standard OpenGL-related
package, and perhaps we should do so in pkgsrc.  I'm not sure if SGI has
released GLU stuff.)

All that I can say at this point is that it appears to work.  I've tried
it with a few small programs of my own, plus glutmech and Battalion (the
latter, being a package, required a little fudging to make it ignore the
fact that I don't have Mesa installed & also required a couple of tweaks
re. library & include locations.)

Battalion continues to display the improper shading when in
highest-quality mode.  (I first noticed this, I think, after doing a
massive package rebuild around May.)  Wireframe mode in Battalion is also
broken (about the same time-frame, too).

I guess that the next thing to do is see what kind of DRI options I have,
and what kind of effect those have on rendering speed.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu