Subject: Re: NetBSD Terminal Server Advice???
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2000 11:03:45
--------------D3A6495A20813C24A700360E

Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> tls@rek.tjls.com (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
> > I am convinced, as I have been for quite some time, that the right way
> > to do this is with USB serial adapters.  That way, you can run *one* cable
> > to a rack of machines, split things out with USB hubs on the rack, and have
> > a clean, inexpensive solution that even does DMA at the host end.
>
> Any recommendations on netbsd-friendly usb-to-serial converters?

Right now only those based on the FTDI chip work.  The reason is that
the people making these adapters seem to hate to give out any information
about them (FDTI was an exception).  See uftdi(4).

> I picked up a DLINK DSB-S25 a while ago thinking it "would just work"
> since netbsd has USB modem support.  Nope.

No, because modems and serial ports are different in USB.
There is a USB standard for modems, but none for serial ports.  Several
companies wanted a standard for serial ports, but it was vetoed Microsoft. :(

    -- Lennart

--------------D3A6495A20813C24A700360E

begin:vcard
n:Augustsson;Lennart
tel;cell:+46 706 88 78 36
tel;fax:+46 31 10 19 87
tel;home:+46 31 82 52 73
tel;work:+46 31 701 42 36
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.crt.se/~augustss
org:Carlstedt Research & Technology
adr:;;Stora Badhusgatan 18-20;411 21 Göteborg;;;Sweden
version:2.1
email;internet:augustss@crt.se
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23584
fn:Lennart Augustsson