Subject: CVS commit notice vs. accessability spread
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/2000 22:02:40
Hi -

  What accounts for the time gap between the arrival of a commit message
to source-changes, and the committed change's availability via ANONCVS
(Root = :ext:anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot) ?

  I just had some frustration waiting for syssrc/sys/conf/files version 1.383,
the absence of which prevented me from building a kernel because of the
depca changes in various other places.   I got the commit notice in my
mailbox at Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:36:19 UTC; the RCSID says
     $NetBSD: files,v 1.383 2000/08/11 14:35:57 thorpej Exp $
(in UTC) but I could not get the file via CVS update until 21:47 UTC.

  If there is a function which can be applied which reliably predicts
the arrival time of committed files on anoncvs.netbsd.org, I would hit
the server less frequently.

	Sean.